05 February 2010

Until I forget to remember

Getting up late in the morning and having a cup of coffee
dark and strong would not be a lazy distraction.

It is just my least struggle to endure the time
without you, the indelible you, until my heart forgets to
remember you from my past, my old habits.

Let us possess one world: each has one, and is one.


This was written on the cover of a notebook I did not buy, but only photographed, another example of the haunting and inevitably sad dialect of Asian English that seems so ubiquitous and marketable. The photo I took turned out, appropriately, furtive and blurry. I’d taken a lot of photos that day — we went to the Nougat Museum, a peculiar and haphazard little place that sold candies called “milk cake plateaux” and “heart crisp fresh milk volumes” — and on the way there I was thinking about Louis Malle.

Two summers ago I started watching Malle’s film L’Inde fantôme, a six-hour documentary first released in 1969. The problem with Louis Malle in India was that he was incapable of living in the present. Every beach reminded him of an earlier beach; every street in Calcutta was an echo of Paris. Time had ceased to exist for him, and so when he looked through the eye of his camera there was no boundary between what was happening and what had already happened. The camera was the crux of his alienation: he was a westerner with a camera, and so a westerner twice over. When India gave him too much — too many colors, too much noise, too many eyes and voices — he became mute, and deaf, and blind, and set up his camera as a facsimile of a human being, to watch and hear and speak in his absence.

I am very jealous of Louis Malle, because he trusted his camera so much. I have a little video recorder now, a fantastic device that looks like an iPod and has enough memory to hold at least six hours of Taïwan fantôme (if I ever make it). But still I use it suspiciously, blushingly, and it’s even worse with still cameras. Quite simply, I feel it is impossible for me to both live in and photograph Taiwan. What can I photograph here? National Geographic moments; east/west confrontations that would be cliché if they weren’t so everyday; things that are foreign to me.

What can I not photograph? Everydayness and memory; the coexistence and nonchalance of grandeur and kitsch, plastic and puddles and pineapples; the overwhelming sensation of being here, and its counterpart of not being here. I cannot photograph the fact that I am simultaneously here and in Paris, and in Germany, in America, in my books, on the moon. The camera removes me from my always-already uncertain process of integration, suspends my current negotiations with Asia, and makes me again a Westerner twice over.

3 comments:

  1. Is photography really so western, though? it makes it impossible for you to transcend your western-ness, i suppose. but photography as a 'writing of the self-evidence of the world, which is not self evident at all' (thank you jean b!), photography as that vacuum where meaning has no place, seems to belong (whether we like it or not) to everyone. photography makes me ueber-western, but cannot make me western twice over. but maybe i feel that way simply because i'm stuck in the west...

    Regardless, I think you need to write a reply to Camera Lucida. as someone concerned with the taking of photos, rather than the photos themselves. perhaps in novel form. perhaps not. either way, i think that it would be absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of haiku, the Japanese precursor to the photograph that also sidesteps the camera's limitation: there is the image, but there is the observer, too. On the other hand, the photographer chooses the image. I think the path of integration is just what you've captured in this blog entry, Maddy: the image, the feeling of it, enough of the context so that we can share it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I bought a little desk sized trash can with a portion of the poem on the side:

    "Until I forget to Remember"

    It is just my least struggle to endure the time
    Without you, the indelible you,
    Until my heart forgets to remember you
    From my past, my old habits.

    It's how I found this blog, actually. Trying to find where the piece had originated.

    But, you consider, who your photographs are for. Are they to give a message to others? Or are they permanent scraps of memory for you to know, to help remember the emotion and impression you felt at the time?

    Putting that filter over what you see, limiting the perspective to one half of the story, I think that's how an outsider looks at it. But each image, I think personally, is a reference point for those emotions.

    ReplyDelete