21 January 2012

Things we like X, or, suggestions for staying animate

1. Dancing around a burning orange, or, rather, a burning orange candle. I know it is totally possible and not an internet myth because I tried it out (successfully) tonight. Why are pith-wicks so utterly charming?

2. Project Nim, a 2011 documentary directed by James Marsh. Like Man on Wire, Marsh's previous film, this is poignant, and entrancing, and more than a little heartbreaking, but it's also a lovely meditation on what's worth emulating in our closest evolutionary relatives, and what's worth leaving behind.




3. Speaking of animals, they make excellent film collages. I like the bears especially, in this old piece by Joseph Cornell.

4. Gotye's 'State of the Art', a song about a Cotillion electronic home organ gone mad. It's a cautionary tale, I suppose, but I want one for my flat. I give you all full license to dance around the burning orange whilst listening to this very song.



No comments:

Post a Comment